CONTACT THOMAS MOHEN
Suffolk University Law School, Boston, Massachusetts
J.D., cum laude, 1982
Trustee Scholar (Full Scholarship)
Boston College, Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts
A.B., cum laude, 1979
Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, with honors
Bachelor of Arts in Communication, with honors
Chaminade High School, Mineola, New York
The United States Supreme Court, 1986
U.S. Court of International Trade, 1985
U.S. Tax Court, 1986
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, 1990
U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York, 1984
U.S. District of New Jersey, 1987
U.S. District of Massachusetts, 1983
Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 1982
State of New York, 1983
State of New Jersey, 1987
Corporate & Transactions
Trusts, Estates, & Succession Planning
Member, American Bar Association
Member, New York State Bar Association
Member, Nassau County Bar Association
Member, Commercial Finance Association
Member, Association for Corporate Growth
Member, Turnaround Management Association
Member, Commercial Finance Association
BOARD & COMMUNITY LEADERSHIP POSITIONS
President & Trustee, Locust Valley Central School District Board of Education
President, Locust Valley Rotary Club
President and Director, Greenville Bakers Boys and Girls Club (a unit of Boys and Girls Clubs of America)
Assistant District Governor, Rotary International District 7250
Governor and Financial Secretary, Guild of Catholic Lawyers of the Archdiocese of NY
Regional Associate Director, United Nations Association
President and Director, Boston College Alumni Association – NYC
President’s Council Member, Chaminade High School
Executive Committee Member, North Shore Environmental Network
Executive Committee Member, Coalition to Save Hempstead Harbor
Amateur Golf Enthusiast
Traveled to 46 Countries on Six Continents
Avid Wine Collector
Thomas P. Mohen
Thomas Mohen has a distinguished career spanning more than 30 years in general business matters and high-stakes commercial litigation. Tom represents individuals, businesses, financial institutions and government units, often serving as a trusted strategic advisor to senior management. He is well known as a source for critical advice in “bet-the-company” situations, and his expertise includes corporate and litigation relating to sensitive negotiations, acquisitions, reorganizations, employment law and general business matters. Tom’s clients span a wide-range of industries and sizes including Fortune 500 companies and large financial institutions, middle market industry leaders, service organizations and community icons. He has received an AV Peer Review Rating from Martindale Hubbell, the highest possible rating for Ethical Standards and Legal Ability.
Mr. Mohen is admitted to practice law in the states of New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts and before numerous federal courts, including the U.S. Supreme Court, the U.S. Tax Court, the U.S. Court of International Trade and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. He obtained his A.B. from Boston College in 1979, cum laude, and his J.D., cum laude, from Suffolk University Law School in 1982, where he was a member of Phi Delta Phi and a full scholarship Trustee Scholar. Committed to his community and the legal profession, Tom has served in numerous leadership positions for civic organizations including as President of the Grenville Baker Boys and Girls Club (Boys and Girls Clubs of America), Assistant Governor for Rotary International District 7250 and Centennial President of a local New York Rotary chapter, and as President and Trustee of the Board of Education in Locust Valley, New York. In addition, he has served in leadership roles at the American Bar Association including Vice Chair of the Antitrust Law Committee, YLD and Executive Committee Member of the Business Law Section, as Chair of the Computer Law Committee of the Nassau County Bar Association, and as a Governor of the Guild of Catholic Lawyers of the Archdiocese of New York. Mr. Mohen has lectured around the world and is quoted in the business and legal press and broadcast media.
- Lead negotiator for numerous high stakes and confidential transactions, acquisitions, work-outs, settlements, distribution, licensing, joint venture and sharing arrangements throughout the US, Europe, Asia and Africa.
- President of Client, Proginet Corporation (OTC: PRGF). Leadership on negotiation of numerous licensing and distribution arrangements and development of company for successful initial public offering.
- General Tank, Inc. v. Heaney Energy Corp. d/b/a Heat USA (NYS Supreme Court Case No. 009727-10). Successfully obtained TRO against national distributor in “bet the company” litigation; win of complex litigation and court comment of “extraordinary success” (T. Driscoll, J.S.C.).
- Nassau County v. Dattner, Dormitory Authority of the State of New York, Empire State Development Corporation, et als. (nys supreme court case no. 2750-04). Counsel for county against architects, engineers and construction firms in design and build claims for the Nassau County natatorium.
- U.S. Information Systems, Inc., et al. v. IBEW Local 3, et als. (SDNY Case No. 00 civ.4763 – 2002 and US Court of Appeals for the 2nd circuit). Counsel for two of eight defendants in complex litigation of antitrust conspiracy claim of pressure on building trades by electrical union workers in New York City construction market; victory at trial court level and on appeal.
- Global Minerals and Metals Corp. v. Merrill Lynch & Co., Inc., et al. (SDNY case no. 04 civ. 3869 – 2004). Lead counsel in RICO action claiming in excess of $500,000,000 for regulatory violations and fraud.
- Kmart Corporation v. Cartier, Inc., et al. (486 US 281). Counsel for National Assn. of Catalog Showroom Merchandisers, as amicus curiae, in Supreme Court decision that aff’d in part U.S. Customs regulations allowing parallel imports (gray-market goods) under section 526 of the Tariff Act.
- Lanahan v. The Mutual Life Insurance Co. of New York (181 F.3d 83 – 2d Cir.). Counsel for Appellant in landmark Second Circuit decision affirming basis for inferences of company-wide discriminatory policies.
- Culver v. Merrill Lynch & Co., Inc. (SDNY – 1995 wl 422203). Lead counsel in decision maintaining contract exposure for employee compensation plan.
- Culver (Gordon, Becker and Walsh) v. Merrill Lynch & Co., Inc. (SDNY – 1997 wl223088). Lead counsel in complex litigation resulting in standard for disqualification of counsel after internal regulatory investigation.
- Hiller v. CRST, Inc., et als. (NYS Sup Ct Case No. 93/02543). Obtained unanimous multi-million-dollar verdict of 100 percent liability in interstate carrier case.
Tom has been awarded an AV Rating for his professionalism and the quality of his legal work from Martindale Hubbell, the premier directory of legal professionals.
Davidoff Hutcher & Citron LLP, New York, Albany, Washington DC
2011 – 2015
Mohen & Treacy LLP, New York, Boston, Washington DC
1998 – 2011
Kelly, Eckhaus, Lucas, Mohen & Olsen, New York
1985 – 1997
Fisher, Kelly, Fallon, Salerno & Betlesky, New York
1982 – 1985
Rich May, P.C., Boston
1981 – 1982
Summer Associate, Corporate Practice